Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bagheera


Well, this kitty was a bit unexpected. We joke that he was our surprise honeymoon baby. It was 2 days before we were going to leave NJ to drive 17 hours to Missouri and we saw a black feral kitten with its mom in the parking lot of my apartment building. I made the mistake of mentioning the idea of catching the kitten and taking it to the local no-kill shelter. Stephen of course loved the idea and immediately set out to catch the kitten. We caught the kitten and ran it over to the shelter and they tell us that they can’t take feral cats from anyone but animal control. So we call animal control but they had closed for the day. It was then that I knew that we were probably going to end up keeping the kitten. We took it home and kept it in the bathroom. It stayed in the back of the carrier and hissed at us. Stephen mentioned keeping it and I said it was craziness to keep a feral kitten when we are about to take a 17 hour drive and pick up a puppy on the way. But I said that if he could get it to let him pet it by the next day then I would consider it. I guess I had forgotten that Stephen is “The Cat Whisperer”. Within 5 hours Stephen had the kitten on his lap purring and that was the end of that. So that’s how we got Bagheera (like the panther in Jungle Book). He has turned into quite the lover and he loves to cuddle. His favorite is to sleep on my chest and rub his face up against mine.

1 comment:

Edwards Family said...

I love it. I am not surprised at all that Stephen wated to keep the cat. He is a Wolfe! We love our ferril cat Luchbox!