Monday, March 21, 2011

Audio Books

Before two months ago, I had listened to a few audio books in my life.

These I got when taking a long drive alone, like when Stephen was in Oklahoma and I drove to visit him from Missouri.

Or when I was in college and drove from Santa Cruz to Napa.

But other than that, I had not given much thought to listening to them.

That is, until two months ago.

Two months ago, I decided I wanted to get an audio book from iTunes.

I found myself dreading walking the dogs because of boredom (and the fact that they go nuts when I take out the leashes) and thought listening to a book might give me some motivation.

So I bought Dracula from iTunes.

(Awesome book by the way)

I was hooked.

I had a long list of books I wanted to read and not much time to read them and suddenly I realized, I could listen to them!

All day while cleaning, doing laundry, cooking, embroidering, I could be listening to a book!

I was instantly upset that I hadn't thought of this sooner.

But oh well, now I was going to be the best read housewife ever!

Luckily for our bank account I came across Librivox.org in which you can get audio books for free.

Volunteers read the chapters so you will have many different readers for one book.

Some of the readers are good, some really bad.

Some readers just don't fit the book.

For example, one chapter of Vanity Fair was read by a person with a Jamaican accent.

Or the few chapters of Little Women that were read by a man.

But hey, its free.

In two months I have "read"

Dracula

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Little Women

Little Men

Jo's Boys

All 9 of the Sherlock Holmes books.

Adam Bede

Treasure Island

and just finished today

Vanity Fair.

Can you tell I love 19th century British literature?

Can you tell I am getting a bit carried away?

Well I need to download a new book to listen to now.

Happy reading!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I love the audio books too. I always have two for the trip to Ventura. Your idea of listening to them while cleaning is a great idea. I am going to try that!