Saturday, September 10, 2011

What We Do

When Stephen's family was all here we did a lot of time at the beach, the pool and Waikiki.

Though we love spending time with family, we are not much beach, pool or Waikiki people.

Or as Stephen's dad said "We would like to do things you like to do, but you guys don't really like the sun or the water."

So what do we like to do?

Well I'll give you a little taste by telling you what we have done our last 2 Saturdays.

Last Saturday we got up early and went to Honolulu for a library book sale.

We always try to get there a few minutes before it starts to get first picks.

(Yes I realize this is very nerdy)

We LOVE library book sales.

Our movers will not feel the same way.

We bought about 18 books for $25.

Then, since we were somewhat near chinatown, we decided to go and get cupcakes....at 10:30am.

(It's never too early for a good cupcake...right?)

Unfortunately it was closed for some reason.

Then we decided to walk to a nearby wine store so Stephen could get a bottle of Chardonnay he likes.

Then I remembered that there was a good bubble tea place nearby and we walked to that so I could get one.

(They don't taste all that great, but I get one every once in a great while just for fun)

Then we saw a little cake shop and Stephen got a slice of cheesecake.

Then we drove to the home brewing store so Stephen could pick up ingredients for more beer.

After that we went a home and brewed beer.

Obviously this is not what every Saturday is like but you get the general idea.

Now this Saturday, we got up early to go to a new open market nearby with the hope that it would have cool stuff but the expectation that it would be lame.

(We have gone to a LOT of open/farmers markets and most have been lame)

This one was lame.

Only a few booths and most selling junk.

We did get some tasty Hawaiian sweet bread.

I was really excited about this because I had been craving french toast.

Then we went home and I made french toast and we watched Tarzan.

Yes, Tarzan, the animated Disney movie.

I really like Disney and animated movies in general.

Not to mention there is something so fun in watching cartoons on a Saturday morning while eating french toast.

Then Stephen took a nap while I, like the nerd I am, made this:





It's a 19th century British literature timeline.

I told you I was a nerd.

I am a very visual learner and I wanted to get an idea of what works were written when and who influenced who and who were contemporaries and so on.

It shows the birth and death of all (that I could think of) important authors of the time and I put dots for when their works were published.

Then Stephen got up from his nap and spent the day with his favorite things:



A book, a cat and a glass of wine.

He read an entire book on the philosophy of music.

He's a nerd too.

(Are you seeing a theme yet?)

While he did that I edited wedding pictures and cleaned the kitchen.

And that is what our weekends are generally like.

Sometimes we go to dinner and a movie.

Sometimes we go to a coffee shop and read.

Sometimes we go out with friends.

So as you see, we do many different things.

And most not involving the water or the sun :o)

2 comments:

Edwards Family said...

Another reason Ft. Lewis is a good idea. Who cares if it's raining, an even better reason to watch cartoons and read books!

annaedunne said...

You guys just get more and more awesome. Time line of Brittish authors? Are you for real? (this is not sarcasm, as it may seem)