Friday, October 29, 2010

Special Guest

I know I have been (unintentionally) been keeping you in suspense on the outcome of the corn picking (are you on the edge of your seats?) but you will have to wait a little longer.

Life got busy all of a sudden this week and I probably wont be blogging for the next 10 days.

Why you ask?

Only because my bestest friends in the whole world are coming to visit!

I am sure I will have lots of adventures (and even more misadventures) to blog about after they leave.

So I am going to leave you with a treat.

A post from a special guest writer.

He's a business owner, ex-motorcycle racer, mixologist, gun toter, sappy movie cryer, Rotary president, and a gosh darn real nice guy.

His writing reflects most his somewhat (ok maybe more than somewhat) OCD nature and a Far Side like humor.

Oh, and did I mention, he's my dad.

I have been telling him for a while that he should get a blog because he sends me these emails that are just so much the style of a blogger and always really funny.

Today, I got a particularly good one.

So I decided I would exploit his talent for my own gain.

Here goes, without further ado...


I saw a bumper sticker a few days ago that read ‘One by one the penguins steal my sanity” and wondered what it might mean, if anything…I thought maybe song lyrics, a poem? These sorts of things eat at me until I can find some resolution, I MUST KNOW! So…

The following is from the urban dictionary site and seemed to be a logical answer:

‘The penguins referred to in this statement are also those people known as "conformists". Whether the statement is made by someone in an office or at school, it is often stated by a non-conformist. Penguins, who all look alike, act alike, and huddle together, all seem the same. So the statement "Then penguins steal my sanity" refers to the slow decay of one's mind when dealing with the humdrum coexistence with Conformists and robot types.’

There was an episode of How I Met Your Mother, which we really don’t watch, but happened to see the 5 minutes of it that in one of the characters office walls there are lame and/or satirical motivational posters and one is a bunch of penguins and the message is “CONFORMITY – It’s the one who is different that gets left out in the cold” I got the impression one character was struggling with his differences with his new office buddies and he didn’t fit in.

That’s it, now I know, I’m good…no self examination needed, no therapy, no life changing epiphanies, I get it and I know I’m definitely penguinish and that’s OK cause that’s how I roll…(that ‘how I roll’ thing just sounds wrong from me even written satirically)

So…Be the best you you can be today, embrace your individualism and your connection to the Creche, Parcel,Waddle, Raft & Rookery!

Note: Penguins…A group of babies is a crèche, a waddle is a group on land, a nesting group is a Rookery, a group on the water is a raft, and in general a group is a parcel, a group of penguins in a bar is known as Morty.

- Crashin' Coon Dog Cooney

(He'll have to come up with his own signature but I'll use this nickname for now)

(Someday I'll have him tell you about how he got that nickname, lets just say it included, a motorcycle, guns, beer, and a boat)

No comments: