Thursday, March 24, 2016

Jane's Rainbow First Birthday Party


This past weekend was Jane's first birthday.

My parents flew out for it and we had a little birthday party.

I decided to do her party rainbow themed because I had been making these toys as her birthday present:


(Yes, she has already lost the red peg doll's pot)

I had Stephen cut the rainbow out of wood and I got the other pieces from craftparts.com and dyed them all with food coloring.

The problem with choosing to do her party as rainbow themed is that I don't use artificial food coloring (for food that is).

But I was able to work it out using God's natural rainbow as well as the help of India Tree food based, food coloring.

As I was planning her party I told myself over and over again "Megan, do not go overboard!"

So this is me not going overboard:



And apparently failing, though trust me, I did reign it in...a little.

My inner Martha Stewart cannot be tamed.

Before I go into the details of the party, let me back up a little.

I hadn't told my mom what the theme was of the party but apparently the mother-daughter telepathic connection must be strong because she came with a bag of rainbow tule to make tutus for Alice and Jane.

Crazy right!

So the day before the party we did this:




And they were PERFECT for the party (thanks Mom!)




Jane didn't mind the tutu at all and the sunshine shirt was a hand-me-down from Alice.

So back to the party, in case you forgot, the table looked like this:


We did a tray of vegetables (with ranch dip on the side):


And a tray of fruit:


We did a DIY lemonade bar:



We filled the cups most of the way with lemonade and people could add whatever fruit juices they wanted to get a custom flavored lemonade!


The juice flavors where Strawberry-Watermelon, Orange, Pineapple, Honeydew and Blueberry.

We used our juicer for most of them.  I bought orange juice so we wouldn't have to peel a bunch of oranges and I bought blueberry because it was cheaper than buying a ton of blueberries.

I made vanilla cupcakes and buttercream frosting and colored it with the India Tree food coloring.


And I made a smash cake for Jane.


For activities I dyed some pasta rainbow colors for the kids to string for necklaces.



I printed out some rainbow coloring pages.


And my mom and I built up our arm muscles making 5 batches of play dough.


The play dough was also the party gift for the kids.


We sat Jane down with her smash cake and everyone stood around waiting in great anticipation for her to make a big mess of it and herself.


She dabbed it with her hand.


"Uh, why are you all looking at me?"


A little taste.


Accidentally got her foot in it a little.


And she was done.  Seriously.  Not interested in it at all.

I was pretty disappointed.

Then my dad blew bubbles for the kids out front.




On a side note, man I got a good lookin' husband!


Also I caught this great picture of him wearing my apron while cleaning up after the party.


If you don't hear from me after this, it's because he killed me for posting it.

The party went really well and we all had a good time!

I still can't believe my baby is 1!


3 comments:

NIRMALYA said...

what a amazing creativity Birthday wishes for emotional friend in Hindi
Birthday wishes for Brother in Hindi
Birthday wishes for best friend in Hindi

Anonymous said...

What tip did you use to decorate the smash cake?

Anonymous said...

Hi. I love this! Did you buy the red, blue and yellow dye kit and mix the colors yourself? Or so they make a pastel kit? Thanks.