Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Rutherford Photos


When we decided on the name Rutherford I came up with the idea to take his newborn pictures with the books that Samuel Rutherford wrote.

I was really hoping to find some that said "Rutherford" in really bold letters on the spine but I couldn't find any.

Though it didn't quite work out as planned, I still love how it turned out.

So here's Rutherford with some of the works of Rutherford, along with some favorite quotes.


“Believe God's word and power more than you believe your own feelings and experiences. Your Rock is Christ, and it is not the Rock which ebbs and flows, but your sea.” 


When I am in the cellar of affliction, I look for the Lord’s choicest wines. 


"Of all created comforts, God is the lender; you are the borrower, not the owner."


“Christ, for this cause especially, left the bosom of God, and was clothed with flesh and our nature, that he might be a mass, a sea, and boundless river of visible, living, and breathing grace, swelling up to the highest banks of not only the habitable world, but the sides also of the heaven of heavens, to over-water men and angels”


Something an English merchant said about Rutherford's preaching: 
“I came to Irvine, and heard a well-favored, proper old man [David Dickson] with a long beard, and that man showed me all my heart. Then I went to St. Andrews, where I heard a sweet, majestic-looking man [Robert Blair], and he showed me the majesty of God. After him I heard a little, fair man [Rutherford], and he showed me the loveliness of Christ.”


Another quote about Rutherford: 
“I have known many great and good ministers in this Church, but for such a piece of clay as Mr. Rutherford was, I never knew one in Scotland like him, to whom so many great gifts were given, for he seemed to be altogether taken up with everything good and excellent and useful. He seemed to be always praying, always preaching, always visiting the sick, always catechising, always writing and studying... Many times I thought he would have flown out of the pulpit when he came to speak of Jesus Christ. He was never in his right element but when he was commending him. He would have fallen asleep in bed speaking of Christ.”


I thought it was rather fitting to do his pictures with his dad's favorite thing...books.

We have a few..


That is not counting the ones in Stephen's office or the 5 big boxes of books we have stored.

We also did a photoshoot with the girls and Rutherford.

Though we got a couple cute pictures, the photoshoot was mostly a fail.

Turns out its really hard to get 3 little ones to sit still, smile and look at the camera.






This picture makes me laugh, it's so Jane. "There's a baby crying on my lap, whatevs"




Then we attempted a family photo with the tripod and the camera remote, also didn't turn out like I wanted but it's fine.



 Got some with his eyes open.  It's amazing to me how "boy" he looks.






A couple of pictures with me in front of the camera instead of behind it :)




No comments: