Friday, March 2, 2012

Guess What?

Before I answer this question I am going to give a little history.

Don't worry, you will probably figure out the answer really soon.

April 2010: Stephen and I decided we wanted to start our family so I went off birth control.

October 2010: After 6 months of no period and no ovulation, I went to the doctor to find out what is going on.

October 2010 - December 2010: Had lots of not so fun tests to figure out what was wrong. One of them including a balloon and iodine ink...enough said.

January 2011: I was told that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and that my right fallopian tube is blocked.

PCOS is basically a hormone imbalance that has kept me from having a period or ovulating.

I was then admitted into the hospital's infertility program. This was a real blessing because most military hospitals don't have an infertility program and the military health insurance doesn't cover infertility unless its treated at a military hospital.

January 2011 - November 2011: Went through 5 rounds of a hormone treatment called Clomid.

I always felt very sorry for people going though infertility problems because (I thought) I knew how emotionally painful it was. I had no idea it was as painful as it turned out to be. The disappointments are heartbreaking, and you go through it over and over again. And you try to not think about it but that becomes impossible when there are babies and pregnant women everywhere. You are constantly reminded of what you want and what you don't have. I never could have made it though without the support of Stephen and my faith in God. I had to rely so much on God to get me though it all. It was such a comfort to be able to trust that things would happen according to His will and that no matter the outcome, I could be sure that it was good, even if I didn't like it or didn't understand it.

Also, Clomid gives you terrible hot flashes. I can now truly sympathize with women going through menopause.

December 2011: I started my 6th and last cycle of Clomid.

Studies have shown that most women who get pregnant on Clomid get pregnant in the first 3 cycles. This meant my chances at the 6th cycle were pretty low. After this cycle you move on to injectable hormone treatments. These treatments are not covered by our health care and cost $1000-$3000 a month. Also because they are much stronger, the risk of multiples is much higher. (Example: Kate from Jon and Kate + 8 has PCOS and got pregnant with her sextuplets while on injectable hormones). We were still trying to decide if we were going to go on with this treatment or just start the adoption process.

January 2, 2012: I had been 2 weeks since I ovulated and could now take a pregnancy test. I had spent the last 2 weeks convincing myself that it didn't work and that I was not pregnant. (I had figured out a while back that getting your hopes up was a bad idea.) I also felt like I was about to start my period so I was sure I was right. First thing in the morning, I got out of bed and went and took the pregnancy test. I came back to bed and waited the 3 minutes until you could read the results. I always make Stephen go read the results because it is easier for me to hear the bad news from him. So he got up and went to check the test. As he was walking back down the hallway to our bedroom he said "uh...babe.." and I knew instantly that something was different than the many other times. He walked into the room with the test in his hand and a goofy/surprised smile on his face and said "It's positive." My mouth fell open, I covered it with both hands and cried. After so many disappointments, it was hard to believe that what we had hoped and prayed for for so long was actually happening. Stephen got back in bed with me and hugged me and said "Let's pray." We thanked God for this wonderful blessing and prayed for the health of the baby. Then of course there was much cuddling and belly kisses and "I can't believe this is really happening"



The next 4 weeks were very nerve wracking. We were so excited but yet so nervous about miscarriage. Some studies have found that women with PCOS have a 60% miscarriage rate so we had good reason to worry. Everyday I went to bed thanking God for another day as a mom knowing that it might be my last.

At 8 weeks we got to do an ultrasound. I was very nervous that we would find out that something was wrong or that I was having quintuplets or something crazy like that. Thankfully we saw this:



A perfect healthy baby (just one) with a strong heartbeat. We were so happy and felt much less worried about miscarriage from then on.

I am now almost 13 weeks and going into the 2nd trimester so we can finally make the official announcement.

We're having a baby!

It's due September 9th 2012.

Stephen is certain its a girl. He calls the baby a she all the time.

I have no guess as to what it is, but just to be contrary I say it's a boy.

I of course have been taking belly pictures, or maybe for now lack-of-belly pictures.





We are so thankful and so blessed to have this miracle baby. God has been so good to us.

Many times over the past 2 years I would read the story in 1 Samuel chapter 1 about a woman named Hannah who was barren and year after year prayed, pouring her heart out to God, that He would bless her with a child. Then the Lord, in his goodness, gives her a child. I would read this story, not as a promise that if I prayed enough God would give me a child, but to remind me that if it is in God's plan for us to have a child then we will.

I have thought many times since I have been pregnant of this verse from 1 Samuel 1:27 where Hannah says;

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him."

Praise be to the Lord.

5 comments:

Nicole Michelle Gray said...

Congrats babies are soooooo much fun. You two are going to be great parents.

Gaye Fry said...

So wonderful and so beautifully told, Megan....God's hand is in control and He certainly has sustained you, grown you in trusting Him and the grace and support He gave you through Stephen.... There are probably so many more spiritual growths you will experience as He is preparing you for this little one. I am sure Stephen has had his own spirit stretched as well. As your Dad says, good parents already!
Keep the baby bump pictures coming!! So fun to see and share in your excitement. God bless you!

Stephanie said...

My beautiful daughter...mother-to-be...I am so very, very happy for this blessing. I know the road has been long and painful but the joy will be all the greater. Looking forward to each sequential picture and can't wait to see and hug you and your little belly! Congratulations to Stephen too! You'll both be fabulous parents!

Monica said...

I've always loved Hannah's story in Samuel, God is faithful isn't he!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. I agree with your mom--you guys will be terrific parents, (and the baby will have awesome grandparents too!)

Patti said...

We are so happy for you...and for US!!! Grandparetns, again!! Such a blessing..especially for me with ALL my new family! We look foward to hearing about each and every step!