Monday, January 17, 2011

Embroidery

My new hobby is embroidery.

You may be wondering, as Stephen often does, "why do you like doing that?"

It all started about a year ago when I got into a fight with my sewing machine.

We are both very stubborn and refuse to apologize and so we haven't spoken since.

This fight made me swear off the evils of machinery and decide to work by hand.

I have found that I really enjoy the creative tediousness of embroidery.

Embroidery floss, in its beautiful array of color and organization, was also a great draw for me.



Isn't it beautiful?

It makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.

I have also enjoyed creating my own designs to embroider.

This has allowed me to tap into the tiny bit of artistic talent I have (wish my mom had been a bit more generous with that gene).

The embroidery posibilites are endless.

I did a lot of embroidery when making Christmas presents this year.

Unfortunately, since the camera was broken, I wasn't able to take any pictures of these projects.

But here are two of my most recent projects.

They are gifts to my friend Anna for her birthday.

Here is the first one:



Now this comes from a youtube video and the parody of that video that Anna finds particularly funny.

I thought it would be even funnier to have it embroidered.

These cross stitches took me way longer than I had thought.



This second gift also needs some explanation.

Now if you know anything about my friend Anna, its that she is unique.

In a very good way.

And part of this uniqueness is that her favorite animals are sea monsters.

So I made her this:



Isn't he cute?



So I hope to continue this hobby and possibly sell some of my creations on Etsy someday.

I'll keep you informed of my progress.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Anna is going to love her gifts. I definitely think selling your goods is a great idea and will be profitable.

You are very talented.