Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Onesie into T-shirt


I have found it hard to find clothes for Alice that I really love that are not outrageously expensive.

I like things that are cute, not overly frilly or too pink.

I tend to like things in light blue.

I hate things with sayings like "Diva" or "Princess".

I LOVE rompers.

I love stretchy jeans.

I love summer clothes.

So in my dilemma I started looking around pinterest for some ideas to make some summer clothes for Alice.

I came across a picture of a onesie that the bottom had been cut off and t-shirt material had been added to make a little cuff at the bottom.

It was so cute and easy but sadly the tutorial was in a different language.

But I decided to try it anyways.

I used an old onesie that she was starting to get too long for (but not too wide for) and it had poop stains on the bottom.

It turned out cute but with the white onesie it seemed a little plain.

Then I remembered something else on pinterest where you use freezer paper to screen print on clothes.

So I hurried off to Hobby Lobby in search of fabric paint.

I was sad to see they only had a few colors and that it was expensive.

Then I came across something called "textile medium".

You mix it with acrylic paint and it turns it into fabric paint!

I almost kissed the bottle right there in the store!

Acrylic paint comes in every color imaginable and is cheap!

So I wrangled in my Martha Stewart monster and chose only a few paint colors (my monster was yelling in me "Get Every Color!")

Got home and found some images online that I printed out and traced onto the freezer paper.

I cut out the design, ironed it onto the onesie and painted away!

I was nervous the whole time that the paint might seep under the freezer paper and mess up the design so when I pulled it off I was trilled at how it turned out!

See for yourself!






Alice is so hip and trendy with chevrons AND ombre :o)

Now my Martha Stewart monster is coming up with a million other ideas for t-shirts for Alice.

Oh, so many ideas....so little time.

Also, it's currently 45 degrees here and the 10 day forecast doesn't get above 55 so its not really t-shirt weather...so lame.

2 comments:

Acy said...

That is super cute! There's also a way to make dresses out of onesies, but I haven't tried yet! http://www.etsy.com/listing/64816531/white-starling-gracie-onesie-dress?ref=sr_gallery_17&ga_search_query=onesie+dress&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all
Alice is so cute!
-Jennie David

jessicafeinberg said...

This is really cute!!