Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Buy Local

Stephen has gotten into this new "buy local" kick so now every other Saturday we drive 30 minutes across island to go to the farmers market. We try to buy as much of our groceries there as we can (the goal is to go to the grocery store as little as possible). We mostly get fruits and vegetables. We have been trying things we wouldn't usually, like kale, swiss chard, cherimoya or Okinawain sweet potatoes. Then it’s my job to come up with recipes that use these ingredients. Sometimes it ends up good, other times...not so much. We are also looking into buying organic, free range, local meat. There is a cattle company here that you can buy beef in bulk from (by bulk, I mean, a half or whole carcass). That way we could just keep it frozen and use it throughout the year. We also hit Whole Foods because it’s near the farmers market. I have been trying different kinds of dairy. I have had goat milk ice cream, very good. Sheep’s milk yogurt, interesting but good. I also have tried almond milk, not bad. I have soy and greek yogurt in the fridge to try still. Here is a picture of all the things we got this week for $35.




I know this looks like play dough, but its mashed Okinawain sweet potatoes. Very delicious.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow, the vegetables look really good! Great idea and I am sure it is fun at the Farmer's Market.

I think your mashed Okinawain sweet potatoes look like sherbert. I haven't even heard of that type of sweet potatoe. Stephen is lucky you love to cook like you do.

Nancy said...

Oops. Typo. Potatoeeeee