Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tsunami

Today, like every other day, I woke up and got into the shower. While in the shower I heard this weird noise. When I got out of the shower, Stephen was looking on his iphone and he said there was an earthquake in Chile. Then we heard that weird nose again and I said “Isn’t that the tsunami warning?” So that started the day.

We sat at home and watched the news that said that Oahu would be hit by 11:37am and to evacuate the flood zones. We luckily live way far from the flood zones. The house we are buying, not so much.

There were also multiple warnings to not try and surf the tsunami. I am glad they warned me because I had grabbed my board and was about to head out there.

Well we were bored so we decided to walk to Walmart to get “emergency supplies”.

These were our emergency supplies.





We were definitely preparing for the worst.

There is a park area and parking lot down the street from our house. It was packed with people from the flood zones who were hanging out with their animals waiting for the tsunami to pass. It was an interesting sight.

We sat at home and watched the news. They had a camera at Hilo where the first wave was supposed to hit at 11:05am. Well by 11:40 I fell asleep watching because there was nothing happening. I woke up about a half hour later and turned to Stephen and said “Was there a tsunami?” He said “Nope, let's take a nap.”

That ends our first tsunami experience.

1 comment:

Edwards Family said...

Fun. I like our experience as well. Blair and I only get a few channels so when my mom (who was with us) heard the news the only news station that cared about Hawaii was a spanish station. So I learned a few new words while waiting for your island to get demolished.