Monday, September 27, 2010

Hiking

This weekend I dragged Stephen out of bed on his day off and said “Let’s climb a mountain!”

And he said “Ok!”

Not really.

It took a little begging on my part, but who could say no to this cute face!

We went to Kuliouou Ridge Trail.

This would be the fourth hike we have done on Oahu.

Pretty sad for having lived here for almost 2 years!

We started around 9:00 or 10:00 and finished around 1:00.

It was about a 6 mile hike (round trip).

The best thing about hiking in Hawaii is the crazy change in scenery as you go.

Where the trail started was a drier part of Hawaii.

It looked like this:



Then as you go up it all of a sudden looks like this:



When I say “all of a sudden”, I mean you look behind you then in front of you and it looks like two different places.

I love these pine trees.

When you are hiking though them you feel like you’re in some enchanted forest.

It’s almost creepy.

There are no other plants but the trees.

Their needles cover the ground and everything has this blurry, muted look.

All you can hear is the slight breeze that is muted by the pine needles.

The pictures really don’t do it justice.

Here is a good example of “all of a sudden”.

Behind me looked like this:



And in front of me looked like this:

Bam!



Crazy huh?!

Then as we got higher up, it looked like this:



The other thing I love about hiking in Hawaii is that there is almost always a destination.

Usually that destination is either a waterfall or a view.

For this hike, it was a view.

I had heard the view from the top of this hike was amazing, I couldn't wait!

The first view we got while going up was this one.



Then we got a little higher.



Then we got to the top.

It was amazing!

I pulled out my trusty camera and cli....cli....... "Error 99"

Noooooo!

No "click", just an error screen.

"Stephen!" I yelled, somehow expecting him to be a camera repair expert.

He looked, shrugged his shoulders and went back to looking at the view.

Darn his philosophic stoicness!

Never in the almost 4 years we had had this camera had it ever not worked.

Maybe it was all the trips to the beach...

Or the way we tossed is around without much care...

Maybe it felt neglected and needed some TLC and chose now, on the top of a mountain, to get back at us.

Well I wasn't having it!

I didn't climb to the top of this mountain to see the view and not get a picture of it!!

So I turned it off and on and messed with the battery and lens and got it took work.

In other words, I showed it who's boss!

Here is what we saw (going from right to left).

That is Diamond Head off to the right in the distance.



Then Koko Marina and Hawaii Kai.



The Koolau Mountain Range.



The town of Waimanalo.



Over to the left is Kailua and that island on the far left is Kaneohe Marine Base.



Here is a panorama.



Beautiful huh?

Then we hiked all the way back down.

The other thing I like about hiking is lunch afterward.

It's not a hike to me unless you go eat something really tasty and fattening afterward.

It gives you motivation on the way down.

We had burgers, fries and a milkshake.

It was a great day.

(by the way, if you click on the photos you can see them larger, that's true for all my posts)

No comments: