Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Peaches

Before Stephen's family came to visit I cleared off the camera memory card in anticipation of all the pictures I would take.

In doing this, I came across a lot of random pictures I never did anything with.

One of the pictures was this one.



This is Peaches.

We had Peaches for about a week about a year ago.

Here is the story.

We had gone to check out a Christian book store at a shopping center we hadn't been to before.

We wandered around the stores to see what there was.

We saw a pet shop.

Pet shops that actual sell pets are still strange to me being that there aren't any in California, at least not that I have seen.

We of course decided to go inside because even though we have 4 pets at home we just love seeing more.

It was a dirty little hole in the wall type place.

When we first walked in, out of the corner of my eye I saw a little cage on the floor and something white and fluffy inside.

I went over to look and my heart broke.

It was a tiny kitten, much to young to have been separated from its mom.

It was filthy, covered with fleas and was all crusty around the nose and eyes.

They were selling it for $20.

I stuck my fingers through the bars and she rubbed up against them with a pathetic little meow and purr.

Stephen quickly dragged me away knowing all to well what I wanted to do.

As we walked away from the store I felt so awful leaving the poor thing there.

I then came up with a great idea, what if we got her and then took her to the cat rescue place that we got Giselle from?

Stephen said "If you call the rescue lady and she says she'll take her then we will get her."

So standing outside the store, I called the rescue lady and told her where I was and our plan.

She agreed to take the kitten and said that the store was notorious for its poor conditions.

Then she said something so awful that I hung up the phone and literally ran into that store and got that kitten as quickly as possible.

She said "Those kittens are sold so cheap and in such poor conditions because they are bought by people who use them as bait for pit bull fights."

The thought that someone could take that adorable little fluffy kitten to be torn to bits by dogs was so horrifying to me.

So we got her, took her home, named her Peaches and nursed her back to health and gave her to the rescue where I am sure she was quickly adopted from.

That wasn't the last time we brought that lady a rescued cat.

We'll save that story for another time.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Peaches was sooooo lucky that you walked into that awful pet shop that day.

You guys are the greatest!!!